.PageList {text-align:center !important;} .PageList li {display:inline !important; float:none !important;} -->

Friday, May 4, 2012

DC Tools



If your attention has not already been drawn to it, yesterday saw the creation of a new page on Lost in DC.  Instead of working on the writing prompt for the Meetup I'm going to tomorrow, I rounded up some tools for you that I've been using since I arrived in the DC area.  For more information on UrbanSpoon, Yelp, Meetup and some other great tools for finding your way around the area (most of these will work for you, no matter where you live), go to the Not So Lost Tools tab.  Notice I went link crazy with The Washingtonian's site.  That's because it rocks.


This page will be a work in progress, so if you have any tools to recommend, please leave a comment on this post or contact us.




The newest tool I added (just this morning) is the site DC Blogs.  Aside from the brief description I gave on the Tools page, I wanted to let you know why I love the following sites, which I discovered just this morning, thanks to the DC Blogs live feed:


Hannah, Just Breathe:  This reminds me, I need to dye my hair.  I am always fascinated by the way women, in particular, react to getting older.  I've been dyeing my hair since I was 17 and think little of it, but of course there's some vanity involved - I've just never thought of it as an aging thing.  The On Going Gray post on this site is a lovely tribute to just living your life and not worrying about things you can't control, like the aging process.  There are so many things you could be doing that are better than freaking out about gray hair.  And I have to admit that I am forever jealous of LostGirls Meg's short and stylish, completely natural, gray hair - all the women in her family went gray young and looked good doin' it.


Shopping Hungry:  My friend Jessie and I have been talking a lot about coconut oil lately, so I had a good laugh when I saw the use Carrie at Shopping Hungry found for it in her post Weather Forecasts for the Modern, Single Lady.  And if I doubted that she's my kinda gal, all doubts were laid to rest with her post Words with "Medium Terrible" Friends.


Ghosts of DC:  Hipster beer is not the reason I will keep returning to this site.  Ghosts of DC's Tom has lived in the DC area for about twelve years now and expresses his love for the District by writing about its (often bizarre) history.  Wouldn't you like to read about the time that Puerto Rican Nationalists attempted to assassinate President Truman?  


As if I needed more reasons to never turn away from my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.