.PageList {text-align:center !important;} .PageList li {display:inline !important; float:none !important;} -->

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

National Portrait Gallery in DC



When I'm not busy planning outdoor adventures for stormy days, I like to plan poorly for indoor activities.  Which is why the photos in this post are such crap (I forgot my camera and had to use my phone - remember that one time I went to the NY Met?  Yeah...) and there are so few of them (we left really late and didn't get to explore the whole museum before it closed).  So instead of telling you all about the fabulous National Portrait Gallery and American Art Museum in Washington DC that I didn't really get to explore for very long, I'm going to share with you some of my favorite pieces currently on display that I did get pictures of.  I plan on going back to this one soon - definitely worth a visit.  It's also free and open till 7pm (a lot of the museums close around 5pm).
Banyan Tree, by Peter Blume, oil on canvas, 1961
The security guard got us good with this one, "Guess what that horse is made out of?"  We guessed driftwood.   Monekana, by Deborah Butterfield, bronze, 2001.  
Electronic Superhighway: Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, by Nam June Paik, 49-channel closed circuit video installation, neon, steel and electronic components, 1995
NorCal, represent!  Or something.  San Francisco West Side Ridge, by Wayne Thiebaud, oil on canvas, no date.  
I'm really going back just to play this (part of The Art of Video Games exhibit).
Luce Foundation Center for American Art (visible art storage and study center)
Rosalind Krauss, by Kathleen Gilje, oil on linen, 2006
Abraham Lincoln, by George Peter Alexander Healy, oil on canvas, 1887
Descending Night, by Adolph A. Weinman (born Karlsruhe), bronze, 1915
 On the left, Jessica, by Moses Ezekiel, marble, 1880.  On the right, I was sneaking up on my friend Jessica.  Little did I know that I was a Jessica taking a photo of a Jessica taking a photo of a Jessica.  Wild.  Or?

Before I forget - I got a Smithsonian membership while I was there for about half what it usually costs.  It's usually $29, so if you haven't already bought one, get on it now (the embedded link gives you all the highlights).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.