.PageList {text-align:center !important;} .PageList li {display:inline !important; float:none !important;} -->

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

357 Acres of Nature & History in Sterling

When my stepmother isn't traveling for work on a hectic schedule, she gets to work from home.  After yet another short trip to China (long flight, short stay), one would assume that she would be delighted to stay home for a few weeks.  The problem is (we recently agreed on this), working from home for even a short period of time can be so comfortable that you forget to even stand up and stretch every so often.  And it is really hard to leave the house because you're so busy working...and it's so comfortable...and relaxing...and everything you need is there.  It's a trap, to be sure.


The great thing about blogging, for me, is that it forces me to get out every once in a while, even if I have not a dime to spend.  Sterling is all new to me, so even a long walk or a short drive is bound to uncover something interesting that I previously knew little to nothing about.  That is how I found Claude Moore Park (by getting off my ass and exploring nearby, that is), which is 357 acres of nature and Loudoun County history.



I see the signs for this park all the time - it's only a few miles from my house.  I may have felt briefly satisfied going to Algonkian Regional Park (which is really beautiful, being right on the Potomac and all), but I finally decided it was high time I check out Claude Moore.  Unfortunately, I didn't get out of the house till afternoon and a lot of the park was closed, but I did get to drive around and jump out of my car every so often to take pictures.  Now that I know a little more about it, I suppose I have no choice but to go back and learn more.  


There is a big ol' Rec Center (the red building below is less than half of it) which has an aerobics studio, a 50-meter pool with diving boards, a 10,000 square foot gym, an elevated indoor jogging track, a pool with a giant water slide and hot tub (what?!), a rock climbing wall and a "lazy river."  I have no idea what that means, but I want to find out because I'm pretty sure I'd love a lazy river.  There is also "drop-in" care for kids so parents can get a workout here...or maybe go to the lazy river, I'm just saying.


This park has hiking trails that go through woodlands, wildflower meadows and wetlands.  There are fishing ponds, picnic areas, a visitor center with a "Discovery Room and live-animal displays."  There is a historic district, Lanesville Heritage Area, which has historic buildings, Frogshackle Nature Center (which already sounds great to me and it doesn't hurt that it's in a cabin), Civil War trails and a Civil War Signal Station site.


I was really sad to just miss the hours of the Heritage Farm Museum, which is an agricultural museum dedicated to local heritage.  Especially when I found out that their "life-like cow" is the one I found in an image-search of Sterling, back before I lived here, when I was trying to figure out what folks in Sterling actually do (milk a fiber-glass cow, of course!).  And there are a bunch of great interactive exhibits here that kids will love.


The Community Center is said to offer a bunch of programs along with rental space for events, but right now I can only find information about senior programs and a preschool.  There is a general activity guide available here.


So what's my point with all this?  No matter where you've moved to, there is something going on that you aren't aware of yet.  Go find it.  I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it.







This picture taken especially for Jenn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.